Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I Still Think Jesus Hates Religion - Jesus > Religion

So, the title of this second chapter really catches peoples' attention.  "Why I Still Think Jesus Hates Religion (And You Should Too)"  Pretty blunt, possibly offensive.  But if one takes the time to read Jefferson's thoughts that further elaborate, with an open mind, you'll see what he means.

"... what I am saying is that I hate any system that upholds moral effort or good behavior as the way in which we can have a proper relationship with God" (page 32).

Jefferson transferred from to a school in Oregon that was extremely liberal.  Here was this passionate, renewed in Christ, young man among many people who would cringe at the name of Jesus.  As a dorm R.A., basically a dorm counselor and friend to those staying there, he found so much brokenness.  But when he would bring up Christianity, he found people quickly shut down or zoned out.  He realized that they had associated Jesus with how Christianity behaves today.

"When on earth did 'hates gays, can't drink beer, and no tattoos' become the essence of Christianity?  It hit me that my friends weren't the ones to blame for their confusion.  They had gotten this idea from people they grew up with, churches they went to as kids, or preachers they saw on TV.  It was the church's fault that they thought this was what real Christianity was all about" (page 26).

I think about what the most notable, make-the-news kind of stories you hear about Western Christianity today might lead others to think or believe about Christian belief.  Judgement after judgement, rejection after rejection, should after should.  As I previously noted, motivated by fear, obligation or guilt.  Whatever happened to Jesus being the judge?  Whatever happened to "he who has no sin, cast the first stone"? (John 8:7).  I believe "we" as "the Church" are doing far more judging and much less loving. Jesus' example showed us the other way around.  I believe "we" look a lot different today than the original church He set up.

I've often wondered, if Jesus were to walk into a church gathering, if he would be rejected or accepted. Would we even recognize him? Would we be like the Pharisees and judge Him for what He is wearing or how He behaves?  Or despite His differences from what has become "the norm" would we show Him love? Would He observe a freedom of love among those in attendance?

Looking at Jesus' example, we see how much he loved those who were rejected by the rest of society - he ate with them, spent time with them, healed them.  I'm not saying that "the Church" doesn't do that entirely, but as a whole, I agree with Jeff's assessment: "When you distinguish Jesus to God-man from the religion that developed around him, people investigate the person of Jesus rather than the rules of Christianity" (page 34). If we say we are following after Him, then there are no boundaries of who we can show love to.  "As I've heard said, 'Of 100 unsaved men, one might read the Bible, but the other 99 will read the Christian'" (page 26).

I hope that as I grow closer to Christ, learn who He was and is and is to come, that I will let that encourage and mold my character into becoming more like Him.  And as I do, even though I may fail, I hope to show that kind of behavior toward my fellow man to encourage them to look to Him above all else.  He will produce the love motivation I seek.  He will produce the love and acceptance that others seek.



No comments:

Post a Comment