Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Bright Future


I know I said the last chapter was my favorite, but after reading chapter 9, I have a new one!  I love Jeff's perspective and insight about what it means to worship God in spirit and truth.  He confirmed a lot of things that I had circling about in my heart and mind.

"Genesis 1 says everything he created was good. Everything. That means music, art, politics, food, animals, plants, and trees are all good in and of themselves. These things aren't evil, but our abuse of them is evil" (Page 161).

Bethke elaborates on many things pertaining to this notion, but the thing that resonated most with me was this: When I first became a Christian, I thought that to be a good Christian, I had to be in ministry. I thought people who weren't were just Junior Varsity Christians. I thought that to be on God’s good side, you needed to be a pastor, theologian, or priest... But that’s not what the Bible says. Peter was a fisherman. Paul was a tent maker. Jesus was a carpenter" (page 163 & 164).  

I recall, three and a half years ago, when I made the decision to give my life to God and accept the gift of grace through Jesus Christ.  My first year was listening to only Christian music, becoming overly involved in "church" activities and doing whatever I could to inundate my life with all things "Christian." I signed up for a course in ministry, which was great, but the initial goal was to complete the program with a degree in ministry. I thought I had to progressively become more and more Christian by taking Christian activity to the next level.  In the process, I burned out (a couple of times!) and pushed my spouse away from wanting anything to do with a Christian walk for a season.  As Jeff points out, it's not that any of those things are bad, but I had it in my head that to be a Christian, I had to do completely "Christian" things. But the truth is God honors our worship in whatever we do if we are honoring him and expressing gratitude to him.

Even my efforts for Disciple Us, which began as a large vision with a website and excitement to orchestrate discipleship relationships, started as an effort to be a formal, Christian program.  Perhaps, in God's wisdom, the events in my life that has taken this effort in a completely different direction point out that discipleship, in whatever form that it can be done healthily and authentically, is more important than any program. "No longer will worship be an external behavior with certain holy spots, but holiness will be a matter of worshiping in spirit and in truth. Faith is no longer wrapped up in a building; it’s wrapped up in every soul who loves Jesus. When the people of God move, the church moves. It’s not brick and mortar; it’s skin and bone" (Page 168).

Additionally, Jeff pointed out something that was very beautiful.  He specified this to single mom's, but I echo the notion to all moms, single or not: "Don’t struggle under the burden of wanting to do more outside your home but not being able to, especially if you have small children. You don’t need to lead a women’s group, write a Bible study, or serve in your neighborhood. Your kids take up all your time, as they should at this stage in your life. You don’t need to be leading a ministry. Your kids are your ministry!" (Page 165). 

This is not to say if you are able and have the God-given calling that you are not supposed to participate in these kinds of activities, as moms. But ultimately, our kids are the ministry we are given and neglecting them is not part of God's plan for our lives.  This really resonated with me as I have historically felt guilty if I'm not participating or leading in some capacity, even if it was at the expense of my family. 

I especially loved what Jeff's thoughts were about music and art ~ That because God created everything and saw it as good, ALL that glorifies him is also good.  I don't have to limit myself to "Christian" art and music to worship God.  I don't have to create only "Christian" work to glorify him. 












No comments:

Post a Comment