Thursday, January 31, 2013

Discipleship VS Evangelism

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to minimize the importance of every area of ministry and service in building God's Kingdom.  However, I came across this very interesting illustration a couple of years ago, and it seems appropriate to share in light of the vision for Disciple Us.

Adapted from the figure of Keith Phillips', Making of a Disciple, this graph gives a profound picture of the impact of discipleship!


A discipler is able to gain a depth of relationship with those they are reaching, making the impact lasting and more effective.  Once that person gains the growth and maturity in Christ through the discpler's guidance and example, they can be a discipler as well.  Over time, more people will have been reached through one-on-one discipleship relationship!

As a discipleship text submits: "Not only does the number of converts multiply, through discipleship the new believers become mature, responsible members of their churches.  Instead of a nursery full of 'babies,' the church becomes the Body of Christ where mutual ministry of all the members fosters the numerical and spiritual growth of the entire church" (Venditti, INSTE Bible College Ministry Training, Discipleship One, page 40).  They refer to this concept as Divine Mathematics.

I can attest to the growth in my spiritual walk through the love and encouragement of someone who taught and prodded me gently along.  I wouldn't be where I am today otherwise!


No comments:

Post a Comment